Morphe x Jaclyn Hill Palette Vol. 2 tutorial for hooded eyes

New makeup trend: What is "Strobing"?? + how to make it work for oily skin!

Strobing has been everywhere lately so I figured I would feature it on my blog. Basically, all strobing is is skipping contouring and instead highlighting your face to the extreme. It's supposed to look super glowy and summery.

You wanna apply highlighter to the high points of your face, which are the browbone, above the brow, the inner corners of the eyes, tops of the cheekbones, bridge of the nose, tip of the nose, cupid's bow...some people even put highlighter on the center of their forehead or on the chin. Personally, I like to stay away from those areas since I am oily anyway and putting highlighter directly on there would just make me look like a greaseball. So try to avoid those areas if you are oily and want to try strobing.

Also, you get the most intense effect by layering. So put down a cream base first and then apply a powder highlighter on top. Finally, spray your face with MAC Fix+, Urban Decay Chill or any other Setting Spray to set everything and make that highlight pop even more.

Here are some pictures:




My opinion

As I mentioned, I have oily skin so I have to be careful with this trend because it can make me look sweaty very easily. When done right and not applied too heavily, this can look really nice! Be careful not to apply too much though as chances are you will end up looking super metallic, like a robot :) It will also accentuate any unevenness in your skin and exaggerate pores, so stay away from this if you have large pores or very textured skin.

Products used:
  • Cream base: Technic Highlighter in  "Highlights" (dupe for Benefit's High Beam)
  • Powder on top: Becca Jaclyn Hill Highlighter in Champagne Pop
  • Setting spray: Urban Decay All Nighter


Yay or nay?

Kind of in between. This is nothing completely new, you just leave out the contour and apply an extra amount of highlighter and that's it. I think people with normal to dry skin pull this off best. Contouring is sure not going anywhere, so while strobing does give you a nice fresh look, it's after all nothing but a nice summer trend in my opinion.

Komentar